Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Friday, May 19th, 1882

Friday. May 19th Fayal Hotel.
Took a walk with Mr Lee & Miss Smith to the harbor beyond the railroad track and made a little sketch of an end of the fortress - collected at least twenty men about me who I [?], were fighting each other all the time, each declaring that the other was in my way. I studied a little Portuguese and made some more sketches and lounged. I just fit in to this languid life. Miss Smith has 138 B.B.B. Grace has 47 B.B.B. I find that the Englishman is Mr Sanisberry[?] - shall speak to him when I have the opportunity. A Rubber of Whist with Mr Phillips. The Portuguese are very neat. Everything is kept scrupulously clean in this house. Their table service is admirable. They are more thrifty than the Spaniards I hear, and that one observes a great difference in this [?] in going form Spain into Portugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment